Chef - Antartica - Winter Contract (18 Months)
Chef – Winter Contract (18 Months)
- Contract type: Antarctic Contract
- Duration: Winter - 18 Months
- Salary: £24,685 per annum initially. Additionally, upon completion of a successful tour, you will receive a bonus of up to 10%.
- Benefits: We offer generous benefits
- Team: Antarctic employment pool team
- Location: Antarctica (Rothera)
- Closing date: 31st March, 2021 11:59
British Antarctic Survey (BAS) is looking for Chefs to work on our stations in Antarctica.
As an experienced chef the ideal candidate will provide a high-standard, professional catering service for the station across both summer and winter seasons. The incoming winter chef deploys during their first summer season with other summer chefs, continuing through the winter solo before completing their tour during their final summer season as the outgoing winter chef.
Food deliveries occur annually by ship so catering must meet the expectations and dietary requirements of the science, operations and support staff living on station using the finite ingredients available for up to 18 months. The winter chef must be able to produce a wide and interesting variety of dishes to sustain a constantly fluctuating population in summer, and a reduced and fixed population during winter months.
Unlike a standard restaurant or hotel job, life on a remote research station is broader than primary employment. Not only are chefs a vital component of the team, they take part in all aspects of station life, such as first aid, cargo handling and field skills training. The winter chef also participates in field trips away from Rothera. Activities in Antarctica may include riding snowmobiles, flying in small aircraft over ice shelves or sailing through pack ice on an ice-strengthened ship.
For the experienced chef with a positive attitude and a passion for delivering fantastic food, this role offers a different and truly unforgettable opportunity.
Who we are
British Antarctic Survey (BAS) delivers and enables world-leading interdisciplinary research in the Polar Regions. Our skilled science and support staff based in Cambridge, Antarctica and the Arctic, work together to deliver research that uses the Polar Regions to advance our understanding of Earth as a sustainable planet. Through our extensive logistic capability and know how BAS facilitates access for the British and international science community to the UK polar research operation. Numerous national and international collaborations, combined with an excellent infrastructure help sustain a world leading position for the UK in Antarctic affairs. British Antarctic Survey is a component of the Natural Environment Research Council (NERC). NERC is part of UK Research and Innovation www.ukri.org
We employ experts from many different professions to carry out our Science as well as keep the keep the lights on, feed the research and support teams and keep everyone safe! If you are looking for an opportunity to work with amazing people in one of the most unique places in the world, then British Antarctic Survey could be for you. We aim to attract the best people for those jobs.
- We have a responsibility to do everything that we can to ensure that BAS Ships and Stations remain COVID free and that staff are deployed safely and responsibly. Our medical screening for this season will therefore take account of the recognised factors that increase your risk of an adverse reaction to the coronavirus (Primarily this is BMI at or above 30, age over 60 years old, or a history of smoking). The assessment is done confidentially by our Medical Unit and the criteria might be subject to change.
- You might be required to quarantine two weeks prior to your deployment, and you might sail to Antarctica on our polar ship.
All applications will be checked at point of application by BAS staff and those without the right to work in the UK or without a realistic prospect of being able to acquire the right to work in the UK will not progress.
Salary: £24,685 per annum initially. Additionally, upon completion of a successful tour, you will receive a bonus of up to 10%.
Location: Antarctica (Rothera)
- Publication date: 8 January 2021
- Closing date for receipt of application forms is: 31 March 2021
- Interviews are scheduled to be held: 8 and 9 June 2021
Chef De Partie - LondonEasy Apply!